会社紹介

My photo
仙台市, 宮城県, Japan
I bird! Mainly in and around Sendai.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

*注意*enjoy*注意*

Enjoy: Many Japanese people use this word way too much.

For example:
I ask "What did you do last weekend?"
they say "I enjoyed pasta at an Italian restaurant." or "I enjoyed a movie with my friends."

Just say: "I had pasta at an Italian restaurant." or "I saw a movie with my friends."
If you really want to express your enjoyment, you can add:
"The tomato sauce was really good." or "It was really funny."

We don't really use enjoy in natural conversation. It's very "junior high school text book."
Also with hobbies:
"I play soccer." not  "I enjoy soccer."
"I like drawing." not "I enjoy drawing."

We do use enjoy sometimes. For example, if my student is going to France this week, I might say: "Enjoy your trip!" Or if she is going to the movie theater, "Enjoy the movie this weekend!"




...and about that tomato sauce I mentioned. Notice how I didn't say "delicious." Another word we rarely use in conversation. Just say: It was good. (or so good, or great, or wonderful...)

No comments:

Post a Comment