会社紹介

My photo
仙台市, 宮城県, Japan
I bird! Mainly in and around Sendai.

Thursday, April 19, 2012

How do you do?

"How do you do?"
I've seen this question in English text books. I was surprised because I NEVER say this. I thought maybe people other than me (30-year-old American girl) might say it. So I asked my mom (50's) and people from other English-speaking countries (such as a teenager from England). And apparently....

No one uses it anymore.

I did some research. It's old. It was used in the 1800's among the British upper class. You might see it in a very old British novel. It is rarely used anymore- only very formal situations in Britain. (Even that is doubtful. -.-;; )

So if you are meeting someone for the first time, "Hello. Nice to meet you," will suffice. And if you are meeting people you already know, then just "How are you?" or "Have have you been?"
If you are young, "What's up," is okay too.


No comments:

Post a Comment