会社紹介

My photo
仙台市, 宮城県, Japan
I bird! Mainly in and around Sendai.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Must you?

To explain that something is necessary, we don't use "must" very much. Usually, we say "have to." And we say "have to," a lot. It is very common. In fact, I probably say it everyday.

Examples:
I have to go to the store for vegetables and milk.
I have to wake up early tomorrow.
I have to do my homework by Friday.
I had to write a report last week.

Although it is not very conversational, "must" is sometimes used for written rules. Sometimes you can see "must" in manuals or signs.

Examples:
Workers must wear a helmet.
Students must not use cell phones in class. 
You must be at work by 9:00am every morning.

However!! We do use must to mean that we believe something is true.

Examples:
You worked 10 hours today?! You must be tired.
That jacket is leather. It must be expensive.
It's hot outside. You must be thirsty.


Any questions?


No comments:

Post a Comment