会社紹介

My photo
仙台市, 宮城県, Japan
I bird! Mainly in and around Sendai.

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Watch out! (see, watch, look at)

I saw a painting in the museum.
I watched a baseball game.

Do you understand the difference? Many students say "I watched a painting." or "I watched some nice scenery from my window."But it is better to use saw or looked at. Because the painting and the scenery are not moving.

I'm watching a baseball game.

I'm watching the children play.

I'm watching the cars go by.

Baseball players, children, and cars-- All of these things involve movement- usually living things. Also, "watching," implies that we give it our attention for a while (not just a few seconds). Watch is active!!

however...

I saw a pretty dress in the shop window.

I saw a lot of peach trees in Fukushima. 

They are not moving. They are not even alive.


But...be careful!! Some examples:
 "I saw my friend at the mall." is okay. Yes, she was moving, but you didn't really give her much attention or "watch" her, the way you would a baseball game.

"I watched my girlfriend sleep." No, she's not moving a lot, but she is alive and breathing. And you are giving her your attention.

For movies, see and watch are both okay! "I saw a movie." or "I watched a movie."
"I saw a play." "I saw my classmate." are also okay.

~~~~~~~~~

Now...how about "see" and "look at?"

I saw a beautiful painting. 

I looked at a beautiful painting. 

Both are correct. But look at is a conscious effort, that often takes some time. When my eyes are open, I see everything in front of me. There is no effort. But when I look at something, I study or think about it, and take some time. Usually, I look at things that are interesting or fascinating.

I saw a lot of food in the grocery store. (It wasn't very interesting. I didn't need to study it.)

I looked at the roses in the garden. (They were beautiful, so I took some time to "look at" them.)

~~~~~~~~~~

Finally, "see" is often used to mean "visit."

I saw my mom last weekend. 

I'm going to see my aunt tomorrow. 


No comments:

Post a Comment